1887

Abstract

We performed a geophysical study in a historical site of Buenos Aires, corresponding to a Jesuit Mission established during the 17th and 18th centuries. It consisted of a Church, the Cloisters, a School and a Procurator Office; also several tunnels were built, connecting the Mission with different public buildings of the town. In 19th century the Faculty of Sciences was constructed over one of the site, functioning until its demolition in 1973. At present, this space is a cobbled square. With the aim of preserving and restoring the buried structures, we worked in this square, looking for tunnels and also for remains of the basement of the old building. Taking into account both the conductive features of the soil, mainly formed by clays and silt, and the urban characteristics of the environment, we performed pre-feasibility studies to determine the penetration-depth of different methods. We obtained reliable data surveying with dipole-dipole profiles with apertures of 1.5 and 3 m, provided that the electrodes were buried at least 15 cm among the cobble stones. By correlating the resulting nine ERTs with the original plans, old structures and evidences of remains of tunnels were identified.

Loading

Article metrics loading...

/content/papers/10.3997/2214-4609.20131357
2013-09-09
2020-07-15
Loading full text...

Full text loading...

http://instance.metastore.ingenta.com/content/papers/10.3997/2214-4609.20131357
Loading
This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error